Conference Quick Links:
Call for Papers
American Literature Association
32nd Annual Conference
May 27-30, 2021
Westin Copley Place
10 Huntington Avenue Boston, MA 02116
Olivia Carr Edenfield, Georgia Southern University
Leslie Petty, Rhodes
Conference Fee: $175
($125 for Graduate Students, Independent Scholars, and Retired Faculty).
Deadline for Proposals: February 21, 2021
The ALA website contains details and instructions for submitting proposals as well as important information for representatives of participating author societies. Proposals from individuals and program information from author societies should be sent to
Professor Olivia Carr Edenfield via email
by February 21, 2021 following the instructions on the website:
Our Boston Location: In 2021, the American Literature Association will return to Boston and to the Westin Copley in the Back Bay for our 32nd Annual Conference.
ALA Conference Housing Information: The Westin Copley Place will offer a conference rate of $189 for a single or double room (triples are $229). Reservation information will be posted November 1, 2020.
Conference Details: For the 2021 conference, the ALA will again rely on electronic submission of program information and conference proposals. As usual, the societies that make up the American Literature Association will organize much of the program. Individual societies will issue their own calls for papers, which will be listed on the ALA website as well as on the societies’ own websites and publications. Guidelines for author societies are detailed toward the end of this notice.
The book reflects growing anxiety in some quarters about the possible negative impact of automation on jobs, from manufacturing to professional services. The subtitle of its UK edition warns of “the threat of mass unemployment” and, in the US edition, foresees “a jobless future”.
Tentative Conference Schedule:
Thursday, May 27 2021:
Book Exhibit: 11:00 AM – 5 PM
Friday, May 28, 2021:
Book Exhibit: 9 AM – 5 PM
Saturday, May 29, 2021:
Sunday, May 30, 2021:
Book Exhibit: An exhibit of scholarly books will be held during the conference. About twenty publishers are expected to take part. To have your books represented at the exhibit, ask your publisher to consider taking part in the book exhibit or to contact Scholar’s Choice (see information below), which will organize exhibits for publishers. Publishers should direct any questions to Alfred Bendixen at email@example.com — We welcome the participation of publishers and are one of the few scholarly organizations that do NOT charge an exhibit fee. Publishers who are unable to attend, but wish to have a few titles exhibited should contact The Scholar’s Choice.
Scholar’s Choice: The American Literature Association has again arranged with The Scholar’s Choice to manage the combined book exhibit for our meeting. It may be possible for your recently-published books to be included in their display. Please refer to the following guidelines: “Any members interested in having their book displayed at the upcoming meeting should contact their publisher between October 30th, 2020, and March 1st, 2021. The Scholar’s Choice displays on behalf of the publishers and all requests must come from them, not the individual authors. If they don’t already have it, the press may request the appropriate paperwork by emailing Mary Lynn Howe at firstname.lastname@example.org.”
The Conference Fee and Registration: The conference fee covers the costs of the conference including the receptions and special events. It does not include any meals. All of those who are on the program are required to pre-register. Those who do not pre-register by May 1, 2021, will be dropped from the program.
Programs: The ALA website will list a draft of the program as soon as it is available, usually during the second week of March, with updated programs posted weekly until we go to press. Copies of the printed program will be available at the conference.
ALA Membership: Membership in the ALA is not required in order to propose or present a paper. In fact, technically the members of the American Literature Association are the various author societies. Individuals may keep informed about the activities of the ALA by checking our website (www.americanliterature.org), which is the primary source for information about ALA activities.
The easiest way to find out about the conference and all ALA activities is by consulting our website:
ALA Guidelines: The most common ALA format is a time slot of one hour and twenty minutes with three papers and a chair. This permits some time for discussion and three papers of approximately 20 minutes (or ten typed double-spaced pages). Organizers of panels are free to use other formats provided they respect the time limits. Please note that the normal reading time for a paper is two minutes per double-spaced page (or 20 minutes for a 10-page paper). Furthermore, the ALA encourages panel organizers to experiment with innovative formats including discussion groups and panels featuring more speakers and briefer papers. Chairs will make sure that the panels start and end on time and that no speaker goes beyond the allotted time limit. Chairs may NOT present papers on the panels that they are moderating, and no one may present more than one paper at the ALA conference. Individuals may, however, present a paper on one panel, and chair other panels, and/or also present on roundtable discussions.
Procedures for Author Societies: The representatives of the various author societies that make up the American Literature Association will organize most of the program. Societies are expected to offer their own calls for papers using their websites, email list-serves, newsletters, other publications, or mailing lists. Each society is also expected to post a call for papers or announce its plans on this ALA website by sending the CFP to Alfred Bendixen at email@example.com as soon as possible and No Later than December 1, 2020. Societies are expected to advertise the national conference in their publications or on their websites. This expectation can be met by including the following notice in appropriate publications and websites:
The American Literature Association’s 32nd annual conference will meet at the Westin Copley Place in Boston on May 27-30, 2021 (Thursday through Sunday of Memorial Day weekend). The deadline for proposals is February 21, 2021. For further information, please consult the ALA website at www.americanliterature.org or for specific questions, contact the conference directors, Professor Olivia Carr Edenfield at firstname.lastname@example.org or Professor Leslie Petty at email@example.com or the Executive Director of the ALA, Professor Alfred Bendixen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Since merged airlines often continue to report delay statistics separately, it may take a few years to see how the new American does during holiday travel.
But industry watchers say that view misses an area where China goes toe-to-toe with Western rivals in innovation: extra features that make the Chinese version more interactive and more interesting to use.
To Koudijs, this has important regulatory implications for heading off 21st-century bubbles and busts.
Rogers, unhappy with the turn of events, decided to leave the show after the first three seasons. The breach of contract led to a multi-million dollar lawsuit. Ironically, Wayne Rogers had never signed his contract to begin with (he had a problem with a morals clause). The lawsuit was thrown out. You could say Rogers got the last laugh, but since M·A·S·H went on for eight more seasons and Rogers' never reached the same career success again, the last laugh might be a relative concept.
The web portal, which has put mobile technology at the heart of a plan to turn around its struggling fortunes, has turned to British teenager Nick D’Aloisio and Summly, which automatically summarises news stories for the small screen.
The US president-elect has pledged to abandon trade agreements which could have wide-reaching effects on American imports and exports of commodities if trade agreements are revised.
The Sublime in the Poetry of Sample
Organized by the Ima Sample Society
Chair: Joseph Goodscholar, University of Great Hopes
- “Irony and Angst in the poetry of Ima Sample,” Noah Problem, College of Notre Doubt
- “The Beautiful Garden in The Jungle: Sample’s Influence on Sinclair,” Raphael Hythloday, University of East London
- Harvard Business School, London Business School (LBS) and MIT Sloan School of Management, three of the MBA ranking’s longstanding heavyweights, all lost ground to their competitors. Harvard drops two places to fourth, the first time in nine years that the Boston school has been outside the top three. London Business School falls three places to sixth, its lowest position in 14 years. MIT Sloan School of Management falls to 13th place, the first time in 10 years that it has been outside the top 10.
"If it (transforming the economic development mode) only results in empty talk instead of being implemented, then economic development cannot be promoted in a sound and rapid way, and may even not be sustained." LI YIZHONG, member of the CPPCC National Committee and former minister of industry and information technology
Make it dangerous, this will help you keep your Watson happy.
- Provide the exact Title of the Session as you wish it listed in the Program. (Please try to be both concise and precise). Please do NOT use CAPS or special fonts or highlighting or Bold or any special formatting in any part of the material you send!
- 智能家居急速扩容 企业标准各异
- For each paper, begin with a number, skip five spaces, then provide the title of the presentation in quotation marks, and then the correct name of the presenter, and his or her academic affiliation. For independent scholars, you may identify a society, a place, or just note independent scholar or biographer or anything you deem appropriate. For any questions about matters of format and style, please consult The Chicago Manual of Style.
- 一线楼市需求外溢 二线成投资客新战场
- Then write Audio-Visual Equipment Required and state NONE or request the specific equipment desired. The ALA will normally provide projectors for powerpoint and dvd presentations and screens (but we will not provide laptop computers). We will no longer provide overhead projectors, slide projectors, vcrs, or cd or cassette tape players (but you may, of course, bring your own cd or tape player). Please note that audio-visual equipment is very expensive and usually takes up over $15,000 of our budget. It costs much more to rent a piece of a/v equipment and a competent Tech person for three days than it costs to buy it. Feel free to use a/v if needed, but make sure that all audio-visual requests reach the conference director by February 21, 2021.
- The lending conditions were not limited to nude pictures. Also leaked were a number of screenshots of supposed dialogues between the borrowers and lenders, with one lender demanding that the female students deliver a video of herself masturbating.
在我们有别于从前的失常状态中，她用所需要的一切使人们联想到生活的失重感。“这是一个时代的终结吗？这是美国的末日吗？”她在《When the World Was at War We Kept Dancing》（《当世界陷入战争之中，我们要继续跳舞》）这首歌中吟唱着。“不，这只是开始。”
2014年，演员蒂尔达·斯文顿(Tilda Swinton)在四部电影中戴着假牙：《零点定理》(The Zero Theorem)、《布达佩斯大饭店》、《唯爱永生》(Only Lovers Left Alive)，以及奉俊昊导演的《雪国列车》(Snowpiercer)。在最后这部惊悚片中，斯文顿饰演残酷、狡猾的梅森部长(Minister Mason)，她戴着一副大大的眼镜，有一口庞大、丑陋的牙齿。
两周后，伯恩海默等几十位著名的早期绘画大师作品交易商出席伦敦的夜间拍卖会。过去，他们通常会在这些拍卖会上购买一些作品，以备在第二年3月的荷兰马斯特里赫特欧洲美术博览会(Maastricht European Fine Art Fair)上展示。但是由于卖家们鼓励苏富比和佳士得报出更高的估价来争夺自己的拍品，所以拍卖行只针对少数富豪进行宣传，现场竞价十分冷清。
1. Am I taking care of myself? Sometimes we get so wrapped up in taking care of others that we forget to take care of ourselves. It can be so easy to leave ourselves behind.
- Please italicize book-length works and foreign phrases and use quotation marks for shorter works.
- adv. 有意地，故意地
‘I Could Not Forget What Happened to Me That Night With Him’
- 'In the meantime, the U.S. continues to grow its own domestic production both in oil and gas. I think, for us, it's less about where the actual price is going--it's more about how much more growth is left in North American oil sands, shale gas, shale oil,' as well as shale exploration elsewhere, he said.
- 单词campaign 联想记忆：
虽然仿生腿对截肢者来说是巨大的福音，但是它们与人体缺乏真正的神经联系，导致依靠仿生腿走路十分麻烦和劳累。但是去年，西雅图的居民Zac Vawter 安装了世界上第一支思想控制的腿，一种直接接受从他大脑发出信号的仿生肢体。
- The media are annoying, we get that, Your Royal Highness, but there may have been more dignified ways for you (and the establishment you represent) to air your concerns.
We will strive to boost employment and business startups.
不过在这一通胡闹之余（主持人蒂娜?费举杯道：致这个美好的混乱之夜），本届金球奖(Golden Globes)颁奖典礼还是清醒地把多项重要大奖颁给了各个夺奖热门。戴维?罗素(David O. Russell)电影作品《美国骗局》(American Hustle) 揽入包括最佳喜剧片在内的三项金球奖，成为当晚最大赢家。历史剧情片《为奴十二年》(12 Years a Slave)虽在另外六个竞赛单元中失利，但最终斩获了最佳剧情片奖。
- “It’s fundamentally about ‘who are we?’” said Eric Kaufmann, a professor of politics at Birkbeck College, University of London. “What does it mean to be part of this nation? Is it not ‘our’ nation anymore, ‘our’ meaning the ethnic majority?
Statistics show global research and development expenditure grew at an annual pace of approximately seven percent before 2009, but slowed down to four percent in 2014
3. Not starting your own business
6.The Conjuring 2：The Enfield Poltergeist
The conference director will normally confirm the receipt of all emails within 3 business days. The conference director may refer you to the website but will never send you an attachment to open, because of the danger of computer viruses. By the second week in March, the conference director will let you know the day on which your panel or panels are scheduled. You should inform your participants of the day and instruct them to register using the information on the website at www.americanliterature.org and explaining that their early registration and payment saves the organization time and money. You will also inform them to check the on-line program for accuracy and to send any corrections to both you and the conference director. You should also inform them that participants who fail to register by May 1 will be dropped from the program.
- 9. “Creed”(Ryan Coogler)
内容来自:可可英语 http://www.kekenet.com/read/201303/232075.shtmlThose looking for greater happiness and satisfaction in life should head to northern Europe, but steer clear of Egypt and countries worst hit by the eurozone crisis, according to the 2013 World Happiness Report released Monday by Columbia University's Earth Institute.
Procedures for Individual Proposals: Individuals may propose either a paper or a panel or round table to the conference director no earlier than December 1, 2020, and no later than the deadline of February 21, 2021. The conference director will give preference to papers and panels on authors, texts, and topics not covered by the member societies of the ALA. Those proposing a paper or panel on a topic represented by an author society should consult with the relevant society before submitting the proposal to the ALA. All proposals must be by email and should be both pasted in and included as attachments (preferably in WORD).
For an Individual Paper: In the subject line of the email, please put ALA 2021 Proposal: and then a brief title of between one and five words. That will enable the conference director to file emails efficiently. Please provide a clear and useful title for your paper and then an abstract describing the paper (usually between 250-600 words) and then a brief discussion of your status (i.e., an Associate Professor who has published a book and several articles on this topic/author; a graduate student who is offering part of his/her dissertation, etc.) or a two-page vita if that is easier. It is important that your abstract enable the conference director and his advisory committee to evaluate the nature of your work. You must also indicate whether you need any audio-visual equipment to present your work. Please provide a phone number (which will only be used if email fails to work for some reason).
Last year, Islamic State militants seized 49 Turkish hostages from Turkey's consulate in Mosul and held them for more than three months before releasing the group. Those hostages included diplomats, soldiers and children.
For a panel: Please follow the sample below so the conference director can paste in the panels and round tables that are accepted.
Over at Huffington Post Mark Gongloff warns: That 'dramatic downgrade of U.S. economic growth in the first quarter revealed the economy's lingering weakness, exposed the folly of Washington's austerity obsession and slapped the Federal Reserve's newfound optimism right in the face.' And with politics deteriorating, it'll get worse.
For the first time a Bond girl’s storyline will be followed beyond her fleeting experience with 007, with the return of Pussy Galore.
In the three years after the death of Steve Jobs, Mr Cook, 54, has held his nerve through attacks from activist investors and a loss of faith among some that Apple could succeed without its late founder. This year has seen Apple’s chief step out of the shadows of his predecessor and imprint the company with his own set of values and priorities: bringing in fresh blood, changing how it manages its cash pile, opening Apple up to greater collaboration and focusing more on social issues.
Wishing you all the blessings of a beautiful New Year season.愿你拥有新年所有美好的祝福。
纽约前市长迈克尔·R·布隆伯格(Michael R. Bloomberg)正在为抗击气候变化花费自己私人财产的数千万美元，他在一份声明中说，“全球气温稳步上升、如今破纪录地上升的问题，不是一个未来的问题。这是一个迫在眉睫的明显危险，对经济、健康、环境和地缘政治有重大的危害。”
- “Irony and Angst in the Gothic Novels of the Early Republic,” Noah Problem, College ofNotre Doubt
- “The Beautiful Garden in Hawthorne’s The Scarlet Letter,” Raphael Hythloday, University of East London
- In the three years after the death of Steve Jobs, Mr Cook, 54, has held his nerve through attacks from activist investors and a loss of faith among some that Apple could succeed without its late founder. This year has seen Apple’s chief step out of the shadows of his predecessor and imprint the company with his own set of values and priorities: bringing in fresh blood, changing how it manages its cash pile, opening Apple up to greater collaboration and focusing more on social issues.
Cheryl Boone Isaacs, Academy President
Organized by: Name of Individual organizer
And then Chair: Name
Lady Gaga以5.9千万位列第四，其后是5.45千万的碧昂斯。前者在统计期间演出了66场，也靠与范思哲和MAC的合约获得收入，同时还有她自己的黑色香水。后者与其老公Jay Z的On The Run巡回演唱会通过19天（北美日期），赚得了超过10千万，创造了能与滚石相比较的第一对音乐界夫妻档夜平均的神话。
Her predecessor David Cameron placed fifth in CNNMoney's previous ranking in March 2015 with his salary of ￡142,500, then worth $214,800. May is only seventh.
《纸牌屋》(House of Cards)，Netflix，2月27日播出。Netflix的政治大戏，第三季有13集。除凯文·斯派西(Kevin Spacey)与罗宾·怀特(Robin Wright)外，曾出演《忧愁河上桥》(Treme)的基姆·迪金斯(Kim Dickens)亦加盟该剧，“Pussy Riot”的两位成员亦有客座出演。
es to you and yours.以我所有的爱心与真诚祝你及全家圣诞快乐。
4．The Mask Of Zorro
Mayweather Jnr - who is capable of demanding pound 70 million a fight - fell to 16th. He pocketed pound 20 million in ring fees with an additional pound 5 million coming mostly from his clothing brand TMT, The Money Team.
Against: Could the film be seen as a film of great performances, rather than a truly great piece of cinema
At a time when the overall stock market is idling with the parking brake on, Tesla shares are on a tear. Since the beginning of the year, they have risen 80%. Currently at $262, the stock is selling at close to its all-time high and has a market cap of $32 billion.
China had a full-year GDP target of “around 6.5 per cent” for 2017.
Only Kobe Bryant had played in more games by age 32, and did so with fewer minutes, and that's just including regular-season games.
8月，为了捍卫中国在全球经济中的制造业中心的地位，央行引导人民币作出数十年来最大幅的贬值。稍后，在国际货币基金组织(International Monetary Fund)把人民币纳入全球储备货币之后，人民币进一步贬值。这一现象可能反映了资本外流。
A host of examples of the demagogic route to power exists, in both past and present.
'In the next 12 to 24 months, unless any of these bottlenecks are solved, we could see WTI going down to $50 a barrel, to incentivize producers to slow down,' she said
11. 另外26部我喜爱的影片——为什么不呢？其中很多影片本可以跻身我的十佳之列的。《迷失1971》(’71)、《艾米》(Amy)、《失常》(Anomalisa)、《骇客交锋》(Blackhat)、《芝拉克》(Chi-Raq)、《机械姬》(Ex Machina)、《实验者》(Experimenter)、《诉讼》(Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem)、《恐龙当家》(The Good Dinosaur)、《伟人》(The Great Man)、《头脑特工队》(Inside Out)、《奋斗的乔伊》(Joy)、《洛杉矶消逝的风景》(Lost Landscapes of Los Angeles)、《魔力麦克2》(Magic Mike XXL)、《办公室》(Office)、《结果》(Results)、《荒野猎人》(The Revenant)、《西默简介》(Seymour: An Introduction)、《小羊肖恩》(Shaun the Sheep Movie)、《女间谍》(Spy)、《冲出康普顿》(Straight Outta Compton)、《橘色》(Tangerine)、《廷巴克图》(Timbuktu)、《生活残骸》(Trainwreck)、《白色上帝》(White God)及《狼群》(The Wolfpack)。
Please note that the American Literature Association maintains the lowest conference fees of any major scholarly organization because it operates without a paid staff. We cannot help you find a roommate or spend a great deal of time answering personal phone calls. If you have any questions that are not answered by this announcement, please contact the conference directors Professor Olivia Carr Edenfield, at email@example.com or Professor Leslie Petty at firstname.lastname@example.org or Professor Alfred Bendixen, Executive Director of the ALA, at email@example.com.